Columbia River Bike Trip
We began our six day trip along the lower Columbia River in Hillsboro. Four of us took the Max train to Hillsboro and three of us biked to the start. A brief rain shower during my train ride was the only significant rain during the trip. Before heading out, we enjoyed snacks at Intelligentsia Coffee. Each day we enjoyed a second breakfast or a lunch at a restaurant. Our route included the Banks-Vernonia Bike Trail, camping two nights on the Pacific coast, biking over the Astoria-Megler Bridge at the mouth of the Columbia River, and exploring scenic back roads leading into Scappoose instead of busy Highway 30. Although the Portland Wheelmen Touring Club runs primarily day trips, this was one of their few bike camping trips.
|Monday||26-Jun-17||Hillsboro||Big Eddy County Park||42|
|Tuesday||27-Jun-17||Big Eddy County Park||Fort Stephens State Park||68|
|Wednesday||28-Jun-17||Fort Stephens State Park||Cape Disappointment State Park||40|
|Thursday||29-Jun-17||Cape Disappointment State Park||Vista Park in Skamokawa||51|
|Friday||30-Jun-17||Vista Park in Skamokawa||Hudson-Parcher Park||50|
Click on the images below to open a larger image, and use your browser’s back button to return.
- Riding country roads out of Hillsboro on Monday morning
- Banks-Vernonia Trail bridge
- Banks-Vernonia Trail
- Taking a break at the Birkenfeld Country Store
- A very old dugout canoe at the landing near Fort Clatsop.
- Arriving at Fort Stephens State Park
- John and Bob at the Jetty in Fort Stephens State Park
- George with his loaded vintage Trek sport bike
- Bob riding his Surly Long Haul Trucker in Fort Stephens State Park
- John riding across the Astoria-Megler Bridge at the mouth of the Columbia River
- Biking over the Columbia was one of the highlights of the trip
- Cape Disappointment Lighthouse
- John and Scott heading towards Skamokawa
- Freighter heading up the Columbia at Skamokawa
- Dinner at Vista Park in Skamokawa. Sometimes we could see a passing ship in the background.
- Don and Pavel arriving in Cathlamet
- After taking the ferry from Puget Island, we had a delicious second breakfast in Clatskanie
- Waterfall on Beaver Creek