West Cascades Bike Camping 2016
George biked from home to Jazzy Bagel in Gresham for the 8:00 a.m. rendezvous with Bob, Don, John, and Scott. Although the Portland Wheelmen Touring Club runs primarily day trips, this was one of their few bike camping trips. My last serious bike camping trip was over thirty years ago; however, our baby boomer group had several years of bike camping experience. Don's route was exceptionally beautiful. Much of the route followed these five rivers: Clackamus, Breitenbush, North Santiam, McKenzie, and Willamette. We gained over 13,000 feet in elevation during our six-day trip. After finishing in Eugene, four of us toured the Co-Motion bicycle factory and rode back to Portland on Amtrak. Instead of taking the train, Scott rode his bike back to Portland.
|Sunday||26-Jun-16||Jazzy Bagel in Gresham (breakfast at Harmony in Estacada)||Riverside USFS Campground near Ripplebrook||47|
|Monday||27-Jun-16||Riverside USFS Campground (Lunch at The Cedar in Detroit Lakes)||Detroit Lakes State Park||45|
|Tuesday||28-Jun-16||Detroit Lakes State Park (Breakfast at Marion Forks)||Belknap Hot Springs||57|
|Wednesday||29-Jun-16||Belknap Hot Springs (breakfast at Tadoda's in McKenzie Bridge)||Kiahanie USFS Campground||50|
|Thursday||30-Jun-16||Kiahanie USFS Campground||Dexter RV Park||52|
|Friday||1-Jul-16||Dexter RV Park (breakfast at sports bar in Eugene)||Eugene||22|
Click on the images below to open a larger image, and use your browser’s back button to return.
- A quiet road in the PGE hydro project is closed to motor vehicles. This begins about 20 miles north of the Ripplebrook Ranger Station.
- Don, John, and Scott riding on Hwy 224 along the Clackamus River
- View from the Riverside Trail at Riverside Campground
- The Austin Hot Springs along Hwy 224 in the Clackamas River are about 12 miles south of the Ripplebrook Ranger Station.
- We tried to pack light, but everyone brought a stove on this trip.
- We walked along the beach at Detroit Lake enjoying a good view of Mt Jefferson.
- Breakfast at the restaurant in Marion Forks after riding about 20 miles.
- Black lava rocks on Hwy 22 near Santiam Pass.
- Don enjoying a downhill stretch on Hwy 22
- John riding over the Cougar Dam in front of the reservoir
- Reading break at Cougar Reservoir
- Scott riding on Aufderheide Drive near Cougar Reservoir
- George on the Office Covered Bridge, Oregon's longest covered bridge at 180 feet.
- Biking on HWY 158 during a break in traffic along the Dexter Reservoir
- Our campsite at Dexter RV park was very quiet except for the karaoke in the bar next door.